Great Asby is part of the scattered parish of Asby and is found about 5 miles South
of Appleby. It probably derives its name from askr the Norse for
Ash and by farm or settlement.
Great Asby lies either side of Asby Gill which rises to the West of the village where can be found the entrance to Pate Hole, a cave that extends for about 1000yds. The gill itself is nearly always dry and only fills following very heavy rain.
The church of St. Peter which dominates the village was built in 1863 on the site of a previous church recorded in 1160. Below the church is St. Helen's well, which is actually a spring of fresh water that flows vigorously all year even during drought conditions.
The other two important buildings in the village are: the Old Rectory which has a Pele
Tower and is now a private dwelling; and Asby Hall, built in 1694 and owned by the
influential Musgrave family.
The village is a pleasant stop for walkers as it lies on the popular Westmorland Way, and has an excellent pub - The Three Greyhounds.