Brough lies on the busy A66 but just outside the main town the village of Church
Brough can be found Brough Castle. The castle was occupied by the Romans for 300
years, later rebuilt by the Normans and by Lady Anne Clifford in the 17th century.
The village is made up of two settlements named because of their functions -
Church Brough and Market Brough. Church Brough dates back to 1150.
Panoramic views of the Pennine Fells can be seen from the Norman Castle which stands on Roman fort earthworks.The villages once contained 17 coaching Inns as they had an important position at the foot of the Stainmore Pass