Appleby Castle

Caesar's Tower under renovation in April 2013

 


Appleby Castle during the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations.

The Gate House and the view from the Tower

 

Appleby Castle occupies a strategic site overlooking the town of Appleby-in-Westmorland and the River Eden. There is a separate mansion house and the 12th. century Caesar's Tower. These, and associated buildings are set in a courtyard with a curtain wall. The castle was founded by Ranulph le Meschin in the early 1100's with the tower being added in 1170 by Hugh de Morville (one of the murderers of Thomas a Becket).

In its chequered history the castle has been in the hands of William the Lion of Scotland, Robert de Vieuxpont, Robert de Clifford, and the Earls of Thanet. At various times the castle fell into neglect but was restored by Lady Ann Clifford, who was responsible for much of the internal renovations to the mansion. In the 17th century stone from Brough and Brougham castles was used to renovate Appleby Castle.

Currently ( April 2013) the Tower is again undergoing restoration and as the site is privately owned, visitors are not permitted.

Castles Castle Index