At the moment Lowther Castle is a spectacular ruin, missing its roof. The castle was built in 1806 and was designed by Sir Robert Smirke, although the Lowthers have been assosciated with the nearby village since 1283. For generations the Lowthers were one of the largest landowners in the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland and Lowther Castle was built for Sir Hugh Lowther the 5th. Earl of Lonsdale. It was build on the site of the former Lowther Hall which was burned to the ground in 1720.
By the 1930's the cost of the upkeep of the castle meant that the Lowthers moved to nearby Askham Hall, and the interior of the castle was removed in the 1950's. Plans are in place to restore the castle and gardens by its Trustees.