King Charles II monument - also known as Black Dub
Dub means water hole and this monument can be found on Crosby Ravensworth fell at the source of the River Lyvennet. It marks the place where Charles II rested with his army in 1651 when marching from Scotland following his coronation in Scone on 1st. January.The monument has a rather weathered inscription on the far side and was sinking slightly. Some restoration has taken place but there are unsightly works nearby that need to be removed.
The inscription reads :-
The obelisk was erected on the 13th of August 1843 with the inscription being carved
by Thomas Bland of Reagill. The area looks peaceful and quite isolated but it was once
the site of a great thoroughfare from Scotland, through Lancashire, to England.