Outhgill can be found close to the centre of the quiet, unspoilt Mallerstang Valley. Legend has it that the village was named after Uther Pendragon, Kng Arthur's father.
It has a 14th. century church, St Mary's which was rebuilt in 1663 by Lady Anne Clifford who often travelled to nearby Pendragon Castle on route between Appleby and Skipton. The graveyard contains the unmarked graves of 25 workmen who died building the Settle Carlisle railway through the valley. A monument was dedicated to them in 1997.
One of the houses used to belong to the village blacksmith, who was the father of Michael Faraday. He moved to London a year before Michael was born. One or two street names in the area bear Faraday's name.
There is a replica of the "Jew Stone", on the village green - a monument set up originally to mark the source of the river Eden., There is also one of Andy Goldsworthy's "Pinfolds". A photographic record of all of the pinfolds can be found on the page for Bolton.
The Jew stone was originally erected in about 1850 by William Mouncey at the source of the River Eden on Black Fell Moss, and was made from a type of limestone known as Dent marble. It was there for about 20 years but in 1870 a group of navvies working on the Settle – Carlisle line found the stone and thought the Latin and Greek writing was the work of the Devil and promptly smashed it up. During WWII a polish artilleryman named Shalom Herman found a reference to the stone on a map he was using during training at Warcop camp. Forty years later Shalom, now an Israeli minister, looked for the stone and having found it impossible to have repaired instigated fund raising in Cumbria and Israel in order to have a replica made. The new Jew stone was erected in Outhgill in 1989 in memory of William Mouncey. William, although not Jewish, dressed in the style of an Orthox Jew and was often referred to as the Carlisle Jew.