A village on the old route of the A66 about 7 miles from Maulds Meaburn. The village now has a by pass so that heavy traffic no longer runs through the old main road, which restores a tranquil air to a very pleasant rural village.
Temple Sowerby commemorates the Knights Templars who gave protection to pilgrims travelling to Jerusalem. They held the manor
here for over a century and a half. When they left in 1823 the manor was held by the Knights Hospitallers until 1543. The present manor
house, Acorn Bank, dates from 1656 and is now owned by the National Trust.
The Kings Arms was once a coaching house for travellers between Penrith and Darlington.
The curch, St. James was built in 1754 and added to in 1770 and then restored later in 1873.
The stone was once used by John Wesley as a platform when preaching to the local inhabitants.
|Acorn Bank||St James' Church|
The Kings Arms
If you have reached this page using a SEARCH ENGINE please click on this link